Thursday, January 10, 2008

Short in the living, long in the lived

For the most part I have no regrets for many of the life choices I have made in the past year and a half. A few regrets here and there, sure, but I am overall pretty happy with where I'm at and the course I set myself on when I moved here to Massachusetts.

Tonight I was going through my desk and trying to organize all the junk I have and I started to go through an old shoe box of mine. I'm a huge packrat and a bit sentimental so we'll call this a "Box o' Memories". Old newspaper clippings of the famed "Pokey Stick Bandit" of Athens, love mementos and tattered scraps of a relationship that refuses to die, every single ticket stub for every movie I have seen from two weeks ago back to 7th grade, my dog's AKC papers, and pictures of friends.

I goddamn miss my friends. I get so dang lonely here sometimes. I got to thinking about old times, funny stories, high school times, college times.....friends who have drifted, friends who have passed, and friends chewed up by the maelstrom of life and sent adrift, lost. I feel bad for all the friends I've failed, the ones I've pushed away, and the friendships and relationships I've killed off before they could grow into something possibly beautiful all because I became someone I didn't want to be.

I finally manned up and called Jenner a few weeks ago the day after her birthday, right before Christmas . It had been about a year since last time I talked to her. We just talked for the better part of an hour catching up; it was good to hear her on the phone again. She has just always been the best.

Last June I went down to D.C. to visit Joe and Jamal, while Nick and Tony flew up from Atlanta. The five of us all together for a long weekend, something that unfortunately doesn't happen anymore very often. Some drifted away, others not as close as before, some I had sworn never to speak to ever again. Over what? Who can recall, but they are still my best friends, no matter what. I could hardly contain myself that weekend; I was so goddamn happy to just be with them that I thought I was fit to burst into tears at any moment.

I think I might need to get out of Massachusetts for a few days next week. Maybe the dark New England winter is starting to get to me. Sometimes it just gets too quiet and I just get too lonely. I miss my friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, guess who doesn't work fridays now?! ME! and that means i'm coming to visit you. february or maybe st patty's day...
tell me what is good for you. i love you and i'm super excited to come to boston!

Anonymous said...

You poor tortured boy.

Anonymous said...

4 words - move to augusta baby