Tuesday, January 2, 2007

New year, new digs, and a lot of miscellaneous nonsense

BITTER BOBBY LEARNS A LIFE LESSON
What a difference a week makes. On Christmas Eve I'm stranded in the airport, alone for yet another holiday, and determined to be the most dejected and put upon human being in the history of the planet over the course of the next seven days. At the end of said week, I have scored not only a big bonus for working late during the holidays but the sweetest apartment I could have possibly imagined. Our Golden Books moral of the day? Don't dwell on the bad times lest you miss out on the good ones around the bend.

So, yes, I did land the apartment. Starting the 15th of this month I will live in the first floor of a house that sits directly across from the House of Seven Gables and four houses from the ocean. I live on a one-way street towards the quiet end of Salem's waterfront. If I didn't have the arm strength of a wet spaghetti noodle I could throw a stone to Pickering Wharf. Most of the houses in my neighborhood were built in the 19th century and I am surrounded by quaint little shops and restaurants, including the first commercial candy store in the United States (which makes the most exquisite turtles...so much for my New Year's diet). No excuse for not getting work done now; I have found my writer's nook.

THE BEST DAY EVER
As good as I have felt the last couple days, I would kill to be in Ian Johnson's shoes. Boise State orchestrates one of the best college football finishes ever to upset a major program, this kid runs in the final 2 point conversion to win the game, and then rushes over to ask his cheerleader girlfriend's hand in marriage. Not to mention that he is the nation's leader in touchdowns scored. Congrats Mr. Johnson and thanks for the amazing story. If only you played for Georgia*.

LLAMAS, WOOKIEES, AND A SHITLOAD OF FLOWERS
As good as the Fiesta Bowl turned out to be, I still would have preferred to make the trip to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl. I couldn't hate the two teams playing in the game much more, but it would have been worth the trip just for the parade. George Lucas as the Grand Marshal of the Rose Parade!? The city of Theed and the forest moon of Endor --complete with the requisite Ewoks-- built entirely out of flowers!? Stormtroopers marching down Main Street in military formation!? Chewbacca waving to the crowd while the brass of the 'Imperial March' fills the air!? I don't know if my little geek heart could stand it all...

I JUST LOVE YOUTUBE
It's amazing what just a little quick editing can do. These recut movie "trailers" seem to be all the rage online these days and I have to say that I am a big fan. Enjoy.

Shining


Scary Mary


Office Space


Ten Things I Hate About Commandments


Planes, Trains, & Automobiles


*I am still furious at myself that I missed the UGA v. Virginia Tech game. I somehow thought that the Peach Bowl was on New Year's Day and went shopping in Boston instead. I still could have made it but I barely missed the 8:30pm Beverly train as it pulled away from North Station. The next train didn't get me home until about 11pm and I walked into the sports bar to see the last 5 seconds of regulation tick off the clock. [sigh] At least we won...

2 comments:

Me said...

The problem was the reporter who was interviewing Johnson (with cheerleader girlfriend by his side) after the game, asked a few typical questions, then said something like, "I know you are going to propose to your girlfriend, go ahead."
So the girl starts reacting to that before the poor guy can even get down on one knee. Talk about ruining the big freaking moment.

Anonymous said...

Hiya.. Cheers to a Happy New Year :-). Good luck with your new apartment..sounds really nice.