Monday, May 28, 2007

I believe in Christopher Nolan

Allright, so I lied. I previously said that I wasn't going to look at any spoilers for the next Batman movie, but I just have not been able to hold out. Although, I think it has worked out in my favor; earlier I was hoping for the best but expecting the worse and now I couldn't be happier or more confident in the direction the film is going in. And what got me so incredibly jazzed about The Dark Knight was this campaign image for Harvey Dent.

"I believe in Harvey Dent". That line is ripped right from the pages of one of the best Batman graphic novels ever written, The Long Halloween. I believe in Aaron Eckhart; he is going to make a great Harvey Dent. I hate to rip on Billy Dee, but he clearly was never right for the role -- and the character that Tommy Lee gave us was an outright abomination. This picture now resides as my desktop image at work and has officially started the Psych-a-thon that won't end until summer of 2008.

And if that wasn't enough on its own, the Warner Bros. marketing department landed a genius stroke a week ago after the original campaign website had been up for about a week. They set up another site with the url http://ibelieveinharveydenttoo.com/ that appeared to be hacked by the Joker. Harvey's face was colored over and given cartoonish red lips and black eye circles. And over the course of the next couple of days -- with cooperation from eager fanboys -- the image disentegrated pixel by pixel to reveal the first official picture of the Joker as played by Heath Ledger. The Joker's look was exactly what I was expecting/not expecting and simply going off that one picture it's clear to see that Nolan wants his film to earn every bit of its Dark Knight title. Keyword being dark. The Joker image has since been taken down and replaced with bunch of hahahas, but he promises to return in December (!) All in all very cool viral marketing, and they didn't even have to induce citywide panic in a major metropolitan area.

I believe in Christian Bale. I believe in Aaron Eckhart. I believe in Heath Ledger. I believe in Christopher Nolan. I believe in The Dark Knight.

1 comment:

Me said...

According to this -

http://www.totalfilm.com/movie_news/new_heath_ledger_joker_image_might_be_a_fake!

it doesn't look like the second site was put up by WB. Still, the picture looks freaking awesome, so here's to hoping.