Tuesday, June 19, 2007

My poor poor Reds

Well, the Reds are beating the A's right now, but this has been a real tough stretch. I live and die with this team every night and I currently have one foot in the grave. Maybe I'm a baseball optimist or just in deep denial but I do believe that we can battle back in the bad Central and make it a race. Unfortunately, we are running out of time to turn it around because the rumor mill is turning and it sounds like Wayne Krivsky is in a selling mood. Dunn is almost a certainty to be gone, which makes me sad because I really like him a lot and the team hasn't lost a player I've loved for a long time -- since Barry Larkin was forced into retirement to be exact. He can be a mess on defense and the Ks kill, but I get a kick watching him hit and lumber around the bases. For God's sake, the guy hit a baseball into Kentucky! But if the deal's right and we get some good stuff in return from a Cali team then I can live with it.

But what would destroy me is if Griffey gets traded. Hopefully nothing works out that way and he doesn't agree to a trade. I have to think it would be hard to get rid of him, because he's having a good year and if he and Dunn both go then nobody is going to the park to watch the games. Junior has a very realistic chance to hit #600 this season; why miss out on the memories (and the ticket money) of him doing it in a Cincinnati uniform? If he does it for the Braves or someone else instead that's a whole lot of regret and bad feelings around town. But if it happens...I'd be devastated.

And all of this with me all set to buy one of the new replica jerseys and go to a couple of games this summer. And the numbers I was eyeing? #3 and #44...fucking shit.

Nation To Ken Griffey Jr.: We Wish It Were You Hitting 756 Home Runs

The Onion

Nation To Ken Griffey Jr.: 'We Wish It Were You Hitting 756 Home Runs'

CINCINNATI—Overcome with a mixture of distaste at the almost certain future and a wistful sense at the way things could and should have been, baseball fans across America took time to address veteran Reds superstar Ken Griffey Jr. yesterday...


So true...so true...fuck off Bonds.

No comments: