Thursday, September 11, 2008

Apple owns me

Steve Jobs is laughing at me right now I'm sure. I bought a nano 5 months ago, although I've always had my reservations about the pod devices and the company at large. When I mentioned to the sales-groupie (who looked like an effeminate Nate Torrence (the Geico/Capital One guy) who himself looks like a bulky Nick Swardson, who is himself effeminate -- weird how that works) that I didn't like Apple products he got all offended and went into a Jobs disciple diatribe that they probably make you memorize on your first day. Knowing that the pods go obsolete with the announcement of new models pretty quickly I asked him if there was anything brewing on the horizon. He gave me a smarmy reply, I gave him $200, and I walked out of the store with this huge ubiquitous bag balled up in my fist to hide my shame.

I've been mostly happy with the nano other than the fact that it's been an absolute piece of crap. The thing schitzed out on me the first day I had it and continues to do so on a semi-regular basis. It won't play any media, freezes until the battery runs out, and then requires you to reset the software. Half of the time it won't sync up to the damn Itunes correctly. But I've mostly enjoyed having a pocket of songs and NPR podcasts (!) so I deal.

It did it again today so I went by the store to see about switching it out to another one that maybe isn't so retarded. However, now I see that there are new nanos that still cost $200 but now feature twice as much memory. This troubles me since I originally wanted about 15-20 GB but hated to do something incredibly bozo like buy some wicked expensive ITouch or huge IPod storage device for too much cost or too much space I would never use. Not to mention that I like the look of my current nano, and they've now gone back to the original tall skinny ugly thing. So I know I'm most likely going to end up either trading in my current one or give it to my sister and spending another $200 to line an egomaniac's pocket for a product that I'm not sure I even like and will most likely be replaced this time next year when they go back to the short model I prefer but with 25 GBs. Other than Pixar, I've despised Apple for so long because I had figured out their racket, and now in the space of about 6 months I've not only broken down and bought one of their portable music devices, but now I'm actually considering buying another. I feel like Damocles.

No comments: