Monday, April 30, 2007

To spoil or not to spoil?

So the question goes...as a diehard fanboy waiting for hyped flicks like The Golden Compass and The Dark Knight should I expose myself to all of the released information available to my resources or simply wait and see? As I see it, this is the biggest problem question for fanboys and one I have wrestled with for a wide variety of features that have been released in the last few years.

This all started with The Prequels (first of all, I love that the term prequels will always be associated with the Star Wars movies). Every fanboy worth his salt, including myself, leapt at every oppurtunity to know what the new Star Wars movies would involve. To my credit, after spoiling myself out for the first two, I went into Revenge of the Sith as spoiler-free as I could. This meant I knew about the Anakin-Dooku beheading and had seen General Grievous on a 12-pack of Mountain Dew: I swear to the Force that's all I knew.

Going into The Dark Knight I wanted to know just about everything: who was cast, the look of the characters, basic plot points, set pictures, etc. I am now rescinding that desire. I want to know nothing. Especially after the terrible shit I've seen in the last week or two. Heath Ledger as the Joker looks terrible, the Rachel Dawes-Katie Holmes-Maggie Gyllenhaal mess is just that, I'm not fond of the new Batsuit storyline, and Eric Roberts is a huge WTF!? casting. I no longer want to know anything about this movie, because I have been so disappointed with what I've seen. Hopefully Chris Nolan once again blows away my expectations, but I'm saving myself to see if that happens rather than expecting it.

So as of right now, I am done with spoilers for the moment. I know just about everything about the plot of Spider-Man 3 but beyond that I am keeping shit to myself. No more Golden Compass looks or news on Transformers. If you want it, find it out for yourself. Let's all just hope that Indiana Jones and the ____ turns out as good as we all think it won't.

1 comment:

Me said...

Yes! I love it when I am right about something as important as movie previews.
And thanks goodness there weren't any previews for the Golden Compass at Spidey - you had me all nervous.
Speaking of Spiderman III...