Sunday, December 24, 2006

Making like Kevin McCallister

I am not having a good run when it comes to the holidays. After not making a flight to Minnesota today, I'm spending Christmas Eve in my room with only Al K. Hall for company. And he's not very good at cheering me up. Thanksgiving was a disaster; I got completely soused, lost my keys, gashed my face open, and spent the whole night outside in the freezing rain. And last year I spent my Christmas Eve with society's best and brightest in the wonderful environs of the Athens-Clarke County jail. With that said I've got a few quick shout-outs for this Christmas:

  • The Denver blizzard for doing such a bang-up job of turning a normally hectic traveling season into an absolute clusterfuck and creating an endless backlog of missed flights and stranded passengers.
  • The bartender at the airport Hilton, where I spent much of last night, for keeping the Sam Adams' Winter Lagers coming.
  • Boston's Logan airport. If I ever again must spend a miserable, sleepless night on a cold tile floor waiting for an early-morning flight I hope it's here.
  • The woman directly in front of me on the standby list for the first flight to Atlanta for jettisoning her kids and preventing me from claiming the last remaining seat on the airplane.
  • My dumbass for listing on the connecting flight to Atlanta when I really meant to go to Cincy.
  • Jesus.

Merry Christmas everyone.

2 comments:

Me said...

I'm getting your prize together for getting the Christmas question right - does that make it better?

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a bit melodramatic to complain about spending Christmas Eve in jail when you it was your decision to serve your time on that day?