Monday, December 4, 2006

Not just science fiction but science fraud

THERE IS NO EXIT STRATEGY FOR PLANET EARTH
I don't want to go on some long diatribe here, but lately there has been a lot of news bouncing about concerning matters that I take a lot of issue with. That something would be the prospect of galaxy-spanning space travel and space colonization. Every few years it seems some moron passing himself off as a reasonable man of science or public figure decides it would be a great idea to invest a helluva lot of money towards some pointless goal like moon settlement (no really, there's water there, we just can't see it!) or manned Mars exploration (thank you President Bush for adding another seemingly unattainable task to America's policy queue). My response is to immediately ignore these folks and go about my day.

Now as a kid, I grew up living and thriving on science fiction. I read Jules Verne, Ray Bradbury, and the eternally great Isaac Asimov. When I was very small (one of my first memories, in fact) I traveled to Houston, Texas to meet my grandmother's cousin, who was a legendary Apollo astronaut. He had been into space for one mission and had served in mission control for many of our country's most prestigious moon missions, including that ill-fated and immortal Apollo 13 mission. As I have come to understand it, he was a big reason our boys got home safely. He was also scheduled to go up again in the 90's and be the oldest man to go in space. Unfortunately, he had a burning desire to climb Mount Everest. He died and is buried there and Sen. John Glenn took his place. I went to Space Camp as a kid, both in Huntsville and at Cape Canaveral. I was a kid who wanted to be an astronaut, who wanted to discover vast and far away galaxies and set my boots on new planets, claiming them for America and the human race. All I'm trying to say is that more than a lot of people, I have a stake in this space travel fantasy and desire.

So imagine my disappointment as I grew up and learned about astronomy and physics and all those other scientific fields that demand a high understanding of complex mathematics. I found out that any sort of meaningful long-range manned space travel was essentially impossible. You can't travel the speed of light, there is no hyperspace, no magical warp space or wormholes prepared to deliver you to the other side of the universe or even the Milky Way at a whim. It was all just a pipe dream, something you might write about in a story or daydream about, but nothing real or tangible that I could hope for in my lifetime or even in a thousand generations of lifetimes. I got over it, I moved on.

So it's a bit comical now seeing NASA calling for a moonbase and planning to visit Mars to finally determine once and for all that there is nothing there except red dust and a toxic atmosphere. It's also sad that the American public is going to spend good money on this project when it could be used for a better purpose.

But imagine my surprise when I read that Stephen Hawking himself thinks it necessary that human beings expand beyond our solar system and colonize new planets in order to survive. Usually this kind of scientific speculation is left to nutjobs and the fatally idealistic. Granted, Hawking is a genius and arguably the most respected physicist on the planet, but this just smacks of irresponsibility to me. Perhaps these complex theories and propulsion systems are remotely possible, but we are certainly millenia, if not hundreds of thousands of years, away from any sort of real breakthrough on this front. And just the fact that he referenced 'Star Trek' makes the whole notion seem that much more in the realm of romantic hope and fantasy. Uneducated and delusional people around the globe are going to continue to latch onto these far-fetched ideas and hope to run away from Earth's problems, rather than use those resources and that knowledge to tackle them.

8 comments:

Me said...

The problem is there will always be better things to spend money on and if we never try, it will never happen. Forward thinking.

What would we have thought of the iPod 300 years ago? We problably would have dropped to our knees and worshipped it - oh wait, we do that now...

The Dunce Cap Marvel said...

Forward thinking is great lada...it's one of the few things that drive our society onward instead of backward. I've been a progressive since learning about Teddy and the boys. But I'm talking about something that is all but impossible. How great is going to Mars going to look when those astronauts not only don't find anything of real value but don't come home?

Because I think that is what the American public doesn't get...the farther away we try to go and the harder these missions get, the greater the chance that these astronauts are gonna miss their geometry and die in space. It's only a matter of time...our shuttle technology is in tatters right now and it's a wonder more people haven't died than those that have. Right now, we've lost people who were blasting off and coming back into atmosphere. What happens when one of these missions completely misses and we lose astronauts to an agonizing death in vacuum? The American people will be quick to support shutting down NASA. Mark my words...

We need NASA. We need them to continue to work on the Space Station and conduct their zero-gravity experiments. We need NASA to launch our satellites into orbit. I don't want that to discontinue. But why needlessly risk lives for hubris and dreams that can't come to fruition? Why risk the entire space program to one of those disasters? It is incredibly irresponsible to try to live out these pipe dreams. NASA develops great technology, but they aren't going to invent light-speed propulsion systems ever...not in 100 years, not in a million years...science has pretty much shown this...so why try and waste what we have?

Anonymous said...

There may not be hyperspace or wormholes or warp speed or a flying Delorean, but the need for "new frontiers" will always be out there--fathomable or not, beneficial or not.

People need to explore and see things for themselves. To quote Tennyson: "to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Anonymous said...

Wow!

I must say this is a shocking statement from the Dunce Cap Marvel himself. Having grown up with this young lad, I can safely say that I thought he would be the last person on earth to believe any significant space travel is not and probably never will be feasible for the human race. What’s next? Are you going to tell me that Christianity (as well as all other organized religions), which was previously necessary to explain the magical mysteries of the universe, is an outdated collection of fairy tails? I hope so!

I do agree with you that it seems ridiculous to think that humans would be able travel across the ENORMOUS distances of the universe. However, I must say that when Stephen Hawking says it, I do immediately think it must have some credence. It’s the same thought that crosses my mind when I hear that Charles Darwin and Albert Einstein (I think?) were devout Christians. I personally have come to the opinion that in the face of having a dream destroyed, a person will find a way to maintain their belief in their dream, no matter how informed the person, and no matter how unlikely the dream.

Enjoyable blog Dunce Cap Marvel!!

The Dunce Cap Marvel said...

Albert Einstein was Jewish...that's why he left Nazi Germany...

Anonymous said...

Alright, well while that does make me look like a huge idiot, I don't think it takes away from my overall point that even the smartest people can let the emotions they have staked in their fantasies get in the way of their better judgement.

I would say that I could still apply Einstein to my argument because Judism is equally as unlikely as Christianity, but after a 10 second search on wikipedia (which I should have done before I wrote my original comment) I found that he denounced his Jewish religion at 12 years old. Whatever. Just subtract Einstein and insert someone really really smart that is deeply religious...how about George Bush?

The Dunce Cap Marvel said...

I'm not exactly sure how this became a religious discussion, or quite what you are driving at Tbone, since my original goal was to simply question government spending on scientific impossibilities. I'm guessing you're wanting me to examine why I believe in religion when scientific fact disputes it(?).

I suppose my answer to you would be:
1) I don't feel that science exists to disprove faith and vice versa and that I feel that many of the tenets and characterizations of faith lay outside the realm of scientific reason.

2) You seem to be confused on what your point is. You agree with me that a person, especially an intelligent man of science (ie Hawking), shouldn't let personal wishes (wanting long-distance space travel) get in the way of his reasoning skills. So yes that was what I was saying in the post; that Stephen Hawking shouldn't push lofty ideas that are most likely impossible in face of his reason to satisfy his desire to travel in space.

But then you say that you think Hawking is right and that you support him. So I guess I'm just a little unsure whether you had a cohesive argument or if you just wanted to incite me. No matter, I appreciate the comments; I just don't really see the religious parallel you were going for. But don't worry, I'm sure there will be plenty of room for theology discussions on this blog.

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with Stephen Hawking. I just said that when an Stephen Hawking gives an opinion concerning his expertise, I do not take his opinion lightly. The last sentence is my only possible justification for how you and I could be correct and he could be wrong.